Free Essays For All Students
As mentioned in the back of this book, this book is designed to meet the needs of the classroom teacher. Comparing it with the First Edition which was an excellent overview for the beginning teacher, or for non-ESL teachers, changes have been made in the second edition; new language teaching methods and recent methodological innovations are cited and discussed.
Alluding to the teacher educators, Freeman mentions that study of methods is invaluable in teacher education in at least the following five ways:
1. Methods serve as a foil for reflection that can aid teachers in bringing to conscious awareness the thinking that underlies their actions.
2. Recognizing their stance, teachers can choose to teach differently from the way they were taught. They are able to see why they are attracted to certain methods and repelled by others.
3. Knowledge of methods is part of the knowledge base of teaching.
4. A professional discourse community may also challenge teachers; conceptions of how teaching leads to learning.
5. A knowledge of methods helps expand a teacher’s repertoire of techniques.
Freeman first mentions the goals of this book. The first is for one to learn about many different language teaching methods. He mentions that by the term ‘language teaching method’, he means a coherent set of links between actions and thoughts in language teaching. Second is to help one uncover the thoughts that guide ones’ actions as a teacher; and third is the introduction of a variety of techniques.
He explains how methods link thoughts and actions. At the end of this part, Freeman explains the layout of chapters.
2- The Grammar-Translation Method (GTM)
GTM is an old method was once called Classical Method since it was first used in the teaching of the classical languages, Latin and Greek. GTM is used for the purpose of helping students read and appreciate foreign language literature. To better understand the Grammar-Translation...