Free Essays For All Students
EDUCATING BLACK MALES
1. The all African American male academy is an educational program of its own trying to best educate African American males by employing three basic strategies:
- early intervention with provision of African American role models,
- separation of students by gender,
- infusion of African and African American history and culture within a multicultural curriculum.
This movement has the best intention to educate African American males, but at the same time it raises considerably the issues of racial and gender segregation, and furthermore this separation only encourages racial discrimination.
Learning and growing through learning should be lifelong experiences, and I consider racial and gender discrimination limiting students’ real life experiences. I would consider that all students would benefit more from cooperative programs where girls learn from boys and African American students learn from all other races. But at the same time, these programs should motivate all students to achieve, to work at their full potential, thus decreasing the dropout rate for African American students.
Providing students with role models, diversified educational opportunities, alternative education will increase their self esteem and hopefully develop a positive attitude towards learning.
I consider that African American students should learn and grow together with al other students in order for them to succeed in their educational development and in life later on.
2. School is just one part of the life and thus the educational program of a student, and this is why I consider that the inner city communities should be more active in educating their youth. There should be programs meant to mentor boys, increase their self esteem, provide them with help or tutoring in different academic areas.
Also, after school programs like The Children of the Sun and the Greater Tampa Urban League...